Wednesday 28 October 2015

The Darth Side - Who's That Girl?

Preamble: The Darth Side darths on...

(Previously... PART I: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4.)


THE DARTH SIDE
by Cheeseburger Brown


PART I, Chapter 5 - Who's That Girl?

Interrogating a strange spirit. Considering Tarkin's means and ends.

Things started out fine -- the automated interrogator hovered in and delivered Leia Organa a dose of truth serum, and then positioned itself above her head to attach the connections for the mind probe. I towered over the little girl and breathed, watching her courage falter. She struggled and grimaced as the probe combed through her thoughts.

We learned that the Royal House of Alderaan has smuggled three squadrons of used X-wing fighters into the hands of the Alliance, and has sent pilots to train the insurgents to fly them. We learned the Mon Calamari are plotting against the Empire. We learned that she has a secret addiction to ko-rock.

But we did not learn the location of the Rebel base.

Where things started to go wrong was when I abandoned the mind probe and attempted to search her thoughts personally. I put my hands on either side of her head and closed my eyes, pushing into her consciousness...

And all I saw was myself, reflected back at me. Her mind was a mirror. I do not know what to make of this.

When I reported to Tarkin he scoffed. He only believes in one form of persuasion: spectacular displays of merciless force. When we received word that this morning's tests had all been passed by every operational division he nodded to himself with grim joy and declared we should take the Death Star to Alderaan. I realized instantly his intention: a massacre such as the worlds have never known.

Tomorrow Alderaan burns, and its every soul with it.

I admit I am disturbed by the reality of the Death Star's mission. How many worlds will have to be immolated before there is enough fear to satisfy Tarkin? Is his real motive stability, or murder? The cold ribbon of determination I detect at the core of his thoughts is more like a droid than a man.

I am also disturbed by my experience with Leia Organa. I have never touched a mind and had it shake me so.

In a way she reminds me of someone I once knew.


0 comments: