Wednesday 25 February 2015

The Infestation — Part 1

Preamble: This the first chapter of a serialized science-fiction short story concerning animal control and an exterminator. (See also: Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 and Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 and Chapter 9 and Chapter 10 and Chapter 11 and Chapter 12)

THE INFESTATION
by Cheeseburger Brown


Chapter 1.

The special telephone rang. I cocked my head. "Ahoy-hoy?"

My date was disappointed but protocols aren't ignorable. Nobody argues with a well-flagged argument. The dutiful are duty-bound. She tucked away her reproductive organs and kissed me on my gleaming brow. Our eyes exchanged intimate transmissions, which was popular among her generation. It made me feel vital, if a little silly.

"Is it ancestors again?" she asked.

I nodded. "The hoary germs."

"Big infestation?"

"It must be, or they wouldn't have used the special telephone." I tapped the side of my head significantly. "Only the ministry has this line."

"Where?"

I shrugged. "No details given. I'm to seek immediate transit. Arrangements have been made. I'll be briefed on the way."

She smiled, showing me a row of mathematically perfect iridescent little teeth. "Print me back a souvenir?"

"What would please you?"

"How about sand from a foreign beach?"

"Consider it transmitted."

We kissed, our lips briefly fluorescing as they suffused with ichor.


3 comments:

SaintPeter said...

Yay, Mr. Cheeseburger is back! That is all.

Sheik Yerbouti said...

New Cheeseburger! Just what I needed today.

Now to wait for the twist ending...

Cheeseburger Brown said...

Don't miss more: http://bit.ly/1EuOKRb